Great news to my fellow Filipinos!
After much anticipation, The Mind Museum, the Philippines’ first world-class science museum was finally unveiled via a pre-launch reception this month.
It will be then officially open to the public in March 2012.
According to its curator, the said 12,500-square-meter facility was fully funded by private donations from corporate sponsors and family and individual donors “who share the passion of making science come alive.”
To those who would like to visit the museum, it is located on the 12,500 sqm prime lot of JY Campos Park on 3rd Ave in Bonifacio Global City, Taguig.
The facility has 250 interactive exhibits and is divided into five main galleries, namely the Atom Gallery, Earth Gallery, Life Gallery, Technology Gallery and Universe Gallery (which of course, is my favorite!).
The Universe Gallery contains a unique planetarium that simulates stargazing from the point of view of literally lying down on a bed beneath the stars.
Last May 2010, I invited some friends to visit The Roving Space Shell – a travelling inflatable dome – in Market! Market! in Global City, Taguig.
The 8-meter diameter Roving Space Shell is from Cosmodome Australia and is the choice of many universities and research institutions around the world, including NASA. This inflatable planetarium can sit up to 50 people comfortably with a 360- degree view of the shows through a high definition projector.
It has provided the public a sneak preview of what The Mind Museum will be offering to the public when it opens.
The Mind Museum is a P1 billion project conceived in 2006 by Bonifacio Art Foundation, Inc. (BAFI), the group in charge of Bonifacio Global City’s public art program. It is brought to reality by companies, families and individuals who heeded the call to support Science education in the country as a way to help economic growth in the long term. It is envisioned to be the Philippine’s center for the public understanding of Science where facts are presented in clear, exciting, and engaging way.
A note reposted from The Mind Museum’s Facebook page … 😀
The Mind Museum is currently looking for interested applicants who will serve as Mind Museum Representatives in the following:
1. Roving Space Shell
- Man the Mind Museum’s Traveling Exhibit entitled “ROVING SPACE SHELL” (an 8-meter inflatable planetarium)
- this will be toured around schools in the Bicol Region from September 13, 2010 to March 4, 2011 with the following breaks when the planetarium will be brought back to Manila:
- Oct. 25-Nov. 5 (Sem Break) and
- Dec. 20 – Jan 7 (Christmas Break)
- Partners: Pyxis Astronomy Educational Services
- Areas to visit: Sorsogon Province, Masbate, Tabaco, Legazpi, Ligao, Albay, Catanduanes, Iriga, Naga, Camarines Sur and Camarines Norte
- Set up the inflatable planetarium in the different schools identified by Dep Ed in the Bicol Region
- make sure that the planetarium and its paraphernalia are taken care of at all times
- take turns in operating the planetarium shows
- assist in controlling the crowd who will watch the planetarium shows
- submit accomplished reports based on the forms given
- help promote the Mind Museum in the areas visited by the traveling exhibit
- Package Inclusion:
- Free transportation, accommodation and food in all destinations
- Free Mind Museum polo shirts that will be worn during the operation of the Roving Space Shell
- P15,000 monthly allowance (net of tax)
2. “The Philippines through National Geographic’s Lenses (1898-1966)” and National Geographic’s interactive “Live Curious Campaign”
- man the Mind Museum booth during mall hours (10AM to 8PM) for the duration of the exhibit from Oct. 3-24, 2010 at the following malls:
- Oct. 3-4 – Greenbelt 5
- Oct. 7-10 – Glorietta 4
- Oct. 14-17 – Bonifacio High Street
- Oct. 21-24 – Trinoma
- request mall goers to sign up in the sign-up sheets provided by The Mind Museum (TMM)
- submit accomplished daily report forms to TMM
- Free Mind Museum polo shirts that will be worn at all times while manning the Mind Museum booth
- receive daily allowance of P500 to cover transportation and meals
For those interested, please contact me at 818-3601 loc. 3205 or email me your application letter and resume at email@example.com.
* * *
The Mind Museum at Taguig is the first-world class science museum in the Philippines that will soon open in 2011.